Wednesday, November 7, 2012

G Journals

April from The Idea Backpack got me thinking a few days ago about doing gratitude journals with my kids.  (Click on her blog to be inspired as well.)  I threw some journals together and the very next day my kids wrote their first entry while the lights were turned down low and peaceful piano music played throughout the room.  


(After only a few days of journaling, I had a hard time narrowing down which thoughts to share.  There's a freebie at the end for anyone who can make it that far.)



I am grateful for my family because they love me.
 I am grateful for my bike because I like to ride it.
 I am grateful for my room because it has things that I like.
I am grateful for friends because they are fun to play with.
 I am grateful for Matthew because he is my very best friend.
 I am grateful for filling buckets at home because it is fun.
I am grateful for my dogs Alice and Piper because they love me and I love them.
 I am grateful for God because I love God.
I am grateful for our President because he is special to us.
 I am grateful for my teacher because I like being in her class.
 I am grateful for my heart because it makes me beautiful.
I am grateful for my heart because it beeps when I need blood.

In addition to my normal daily writing workshop time, my plan is to make G Journals a daily ritual throughout November, with lights down low and piano music playing.  I hope it brings new meaning to being thankful.

(Click on the picture for your own copy.  G = gratitude)
Graphics from: http://frompond.blogspot.com


Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. I love love love this. The last one is too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea. It gets the kids thinking about the positive things in their lives rather than focusing on what they do not have. I think adults can benefit from using this journal too! :)

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RealOCTeachers, I think some kids are really getting exactly what you're saying. You're right. We adults could use this kind of thing too.

      Delete
  3. So, so sweet! We are never too young to learn to have gratitude. :)
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, very true. It's all about life skills and character, and the younger they learn it, the better.

      Delete
  4. LOVE this idea. Just linked my school academic resources blog to this one. Thank you!

    http://msad6ai.blogspot.com/2012/11/gratitude.html

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley, thanks so much for the link. That's pretty cool!

      Delete
  5. Tammy,
    You continue to inspire me! Thank you so much for sharing your G Journal with us! Truly Awesome!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you're very welcome. Thanks for letting me know that you like this idea!

      Delete
  6. I read this post last night and was so inspired that I went to school today and made a G Journal for each of my kids. I also shared this idea with several of the teachers at my school. They thought. It was awesome too!!! Thanks for sharing it!!
    Connie Anderson :)
    Www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you've made my day. Thank you for sharing this with me. :)

      Delete
  7. Tammy -
    What a sweet idea! I love it so much! Thanks for sharing it. It's so good for kiddos to think about the things in life they are thankful for...things seem to come so easy for some of them in my community that it's a good reminder.:o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vicky. I've really enjoyed giving them the chance to be more thankful.

      Delete
  8. As a Christian, offering prayers of thanksgiving is an essential part of one's spiritual practice and the gratitude journal and app provide the ideal medium for doing so. This enables a more rounded spiritual, emotional, and also psychological aspect of a human being; therefore, through the gratitude app, you are able to get a more inward look into your life, making you to have the 'feel-good' experience, based on bible scriptures. This is how it promotes the development of a whole being: through the enabling of a more rounded spiritual, emotional, and also psychological aspect of a human being. Source: yourgratitudejourney.com

    ReplyDelete