Monday, May 20, 2013

Where I'm From (freebie)

I'm a big fan of discovering the magic in the words of a young poet.  I think it's harder to find that magic when kids think poetry has to rhyme or when there are lots of rules involved.  There's something rather powerful about free verse poetry.  It makes for clever poems like these.



Having said that, amidst a poetry unit full of free verse, I tried something new this year recommended by a fellow writing teacher, Marie, who loves teaching free verse poetry as well.  Have you heard the poem "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon?  It's a heart-felt and unique poem that lends itself to imitation even for first graders.  Here are a few first grade examples.


Below is a template that you're welcome to use.  Marie gave me a great one, and I modified it ever so slightly.  You'll also find many varieties on the internet.


(Click on the picture for your own copy.)


I still love free verse the most, but I'm glad that Marie shared this with me.  I think these poems will be special treasures for not only the poets but their families as well. 


Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. You have such a talent for coaxing out beautiful writing from your students! Love it!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you for such a wonderful comment. It's not always easy, but writing from day one certainly helps.

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous. Thank you so much. Talk about authentic!
    BTW, what amazing grade 1 poems.

    Barbara @
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, they did a great job. The template certainly helps.

      Delete
  3. I miss teaching poetry. I think you might have inspired me to try free verse with my little ones. I love Mathew's and Reece's poems! Your teaching is so amazing.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, I'd love to read some free verse from your little ones!

      Delete
  4. We wrote these in Grad School and I forgot all about it during my poetry unit. We may just have to revisit!
    :)
    Tamera
    MyHeartBelongsinFirst
    Kaizactan2001@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamera, you definitely should. Your poets would be impressed to hear that they're doing the work of grad students. :)

      Delete
  5. First, I love George Ella Lyon! Second, I love poetry and first graders! Third, THANK YOU!! I'm almost looking forward to coming back home from my week long field trip!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, you're funny. Thank you for commenting and making me smile today.

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful! I can't wait to do the "Where I am From" Poems with my class! Tomorrow is going to be our Poetry Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa and Brittany. Have fun with your poets tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I am doing an assignment in my course: Children Literature and I would like to give credit to the writer and properly reference his work. His name is Matty with the :"Where I am From" poem. I would like to know the year it was written and Matty's last name

    ReplyDelete