Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Chain Gangs

The day after a guest teacher left a report that wasn't so great seemed like the day to try the chain challenge, because kids who drive the sub crazy by tattling probably aren't using their best teamwork skills.





I didn't make up this task, but I've seen it all over the internet. Each team got a piece of 9x6 construction paper. As you can see in the picture, the colors were all different. Besides prepping them about the importance of teamwork, the only directions were to make the longest chain out of that one piece of paper, because they weren't getting more.

While they were working, it was the perfect chance to highlight teamwork skills as timely issues and opportunities presented themselves. I found myself reacting with saying things these:


  • Teams never give up, even when they can tell they won't win.
  • Teams stay focused on the task. Otherwise they'll never reach their goals.
  • Teams would never dream of making another team feel bad.
  • The winning team isn't necessarily the one with the longest chain. It's the one that works well together.
  • Teams clean up after themselves.



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I actually haven't seen this before. I'm keeping it in my back pocket:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the "deceptively simple looking" activities that give SO much opportunity for the children to grow their interpersonal skills. I love this. I will definitely use this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, those are the best kinds of activities, right? :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen this activity either. Great for building team skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, now I need to do it earlier in the year.

      Delete